Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Recover and Rest




So after the 5.5 mile climb up the mountain on Saturday for the 8 Tuff Miles Tune Up, I had the Magens Bay/ Peterborg 10K on Sunday. I thought the race started at 7:30 but as Victoria and I got down there a few minutes before 7:00 there were about 35 people lined up ready to go....... I grabbed a number and ran for the 7:00 am start. I have 2 little ipod shuffles. One had a good country mix and the other had my pump up running mix... Well I grabbed the country mix ipod by mistake. And while I love my country music, Carrie Underwood singing "Jesus Take the Wheel" wasn't helping me grind up those hills out to Peterborg point. I thought I was just going to take it easy and treat the race like an easy training run since I ran pretty hard on Saturday in St. John. But as we headed down towards the entrance of the beach I glanced down at my Garmin 305 and noticed I was clipping along at around a 7:00 min a mile pace...... So there I go... Can't let up now right? So I hit it as hard as I could and kept the 1st place guy within 50 feet for most of the race. I finished in 50:41. A 8:09 per min. pace. Fastest I've run that course by more than 15 seconds per mile. (8:24 per mile was my last best). So I was pretty happy about the race. Looks like I'm improving and I wasn't even fully rested . I really wonder if I keep up with good training , what is my potential? I mean the hills really do still suck and I'm sucking wind big time when I get to the tops. But I'm recovering on the flats and downhills much better.

So I rested for 2 days (Mon. and Tues). I'll run tomorrow morning. Planning on running the 6.2 mile Peterborg Point course again. Only 10 days till the 8 TUFF MILES!!!!!

No comments: